WINTER IS COMING

I came out of my house to meet my grandmother whose home is hardly 10 metres away from our home. It can hardly be categorised as a walk. As I was walking, I got a bust of nostalgic feeling, I knew it was something that I have known forever and that is when it hit me, the winter is coming. I could smell it in the air. I know the fragrance OH so well. It was like a mixture of sweet breeze with my winter clothes' fragrance. 

It smelled like home. 

I stopped in the veranda to breathe it all in. I stood underneath the sky full of stars and took a deep breath, the more I inhaled the less it felt. It was as if it was taking its time to set itself in my heart. I could feel goosebumps rising because of the little chill that I had ignored by wearing summer clothes. I opened my eyes and thanked God for making autumns. 


Next day, I started to see the little changes around my house. The leaves were gradually turning golden as if the treasure was unleashing with the secret whisper of the chilled wind last night. Days started to roll by, I could see prettier shades of autumn turning up. Because of our region's vegetation, I could see a mini Vermont glowing up. The skies were getting clearer, the wind chiller and the leaves more golden orange.

My camera could not justify the beauty that my eyes saw, I saw all the shades of yellow, orange, red and brown. Only one thing was common and that was the gold in the hues of all these colours. My eyes saw the ardent beauty of what nature had created. My eyes were always smiling because of the continuous little treats they got every time I blinked my eyes open. 


I sit on my room's window and I see the leaves of the old banyan tree in our lawn showing me a contrast of all the tinges of all the colours I know and, of the ones I do not know. I can see the sunshine reflecting on the waxy surface of the banyan tree's leaves in the bright blue background of the sky. The leaves work like mirrors making my eyes shift from one leaf to another to avoid the reflections. The beauty is surreal. 

I have always felt that autumn is one season which has always made me more hopeful. Some people relate it to dullness and sorrow but I see the bright colours glowing under the sun. There is so much of warm yellows and golden browns that it makes me believe in the warmness of this universe. 

So, like Anne of Green Gables, I am glad I get to live in a world where there are Octobers full of breathtaking autumns.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts